Thursday 10 February 2011

Microscope slides


Recently, I've been neglecting to post my new etsy additions to this blog, so I'm adding a group of pictures today. These two paintings are abstract impressions of microscope slides of rock thin sections. I spent lots of time looking at such things when I was a geology student, and it was one of my favourite parts of the course (drawing fossils was another one; I was obviously doing the wrong course!). The colours you'll see in rock slides are intense - it's like looking at a stained glass window - and under cross-polarized light they change as you rotate the microscope stage, so that they transform through violet, intense blue, turquoise, orange, pink, lemon yellow, etc. These pictures are in acrylics with oil pastel, and are a good size (16 x 20 inches).
These are available at my etsy shop, at: http://www.etsy.com/listing/66836354/microscope-slide-1-original-mixed-media
and http://www.etsy.com/listing/66836740/microscope-slide-2-original-mixed-media

No comments:

Post a Comment